I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific. – Lily Tomlin


This past weekend went by so swiftly that I’m not even sure if it really happened or not. I mean, is it seriously Monday morning? Already??? Sorry I’ve been missing in action for the past few days. I’ve been busy.

I had to take my mom to the hospital on Friday morning to get a CT scan done. They found a dense area that they were a tad concerned with. She made me promise not to tell anyone that the doctors said she was dense in the head ’cause we’ve been telling her she was dense for years. The radiologist called mom’s doctor who then called mom to tell her to take her butt to the ER. I guess I should have told you that when I picked mom up from her doctors office, part of her face was saggy, limpy, and otherwise not in the correct positioning. The dense spot they saw on the CT scan was quite possibly a blood clot forming.

Into the ER we go. Hours of sitting. Hours of waiting. Lots of poking. Lots of prodding. NO food, NO water. The ER doctor says he’d like for her to stay over night to which she immediately says, “No thanks.” I say, “She’ll be staying.” The neurologist comes in, does his little tests and says the same thing the ER doctor says. Stay. She finally caves in and says she’ll stay after I use a bit o’ guilt inducing charm. Might I add that the neurologist had some really interesting tools of the trade.

Finally after being at that hospital since around 10AM, she gets moved out of the ER. To the MRI room. Then to have an electrocardiogram or an echo-cardiogram or some sort of test where they looked at her heart and carotid arteries. I headed down to the Subway in the hospital and ordered up a nice turkey sammich because I know that she is absolutely starving to death. Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that she is also a smoker who hasn’t had a cigarette in all this time either. I’m starting to fear for the nurses lives at this point. She gets to her room around 3:30PM. I’ve never seen anyone eat a sandwich that fast.

She’s back home now. A small/mild stroke, but the clot seems to have resolved itself. No major damage or any minor damage that we are aware of. She’s going to take it easy for a while, eat a better diet. In her defense though, she eats pretty well. Thank you to all who asked about her and to my aunt-in-law and mother-in-law who made her brief stay in the hospital more enjoyable. Seriously, thanks.

And all the nurses survived unscathed…